What is ﬂuoride?
• Fluoride is a mineral that helps prevent tooth decay by making teeth stronger.
• Fluoride occurs naturally in many foods and water.
How does ﬂuoride work?
• Fluoride makes the structure of teeth stronger and more resistant to acids formed by sugary foods and carbohydrates.
• Fluoride has the ability to reverse decay and remineralize each tooth’s surface.
Where is it available?
• Fluoridated water
• Mouth rinses
• Dietary fluoride supplements
How long has community water ﬂuoridation been around?
• It has been around for more than 50 years. Many municipalities across the country use fluoridated water systems.
• The use of fluoride has been credited for reducing tooth decay and improving the nation’s oral health.
What if my child isn’t getting enough ﬂuoride? What can I do?
• Our practice can help determine the right treatment for your child.
• If your community water system is not fluoridated, your child may need to receive fluoride treatments available at our office.
What are ﬂuoride treatments?
• Fluoride treatments are available as a gel, foam, or varnish.
• We can apply the gel and varnish directly onto teeth.
• The foam is used with a mouth guard. The gel can also be applied in this manner.
• These treatments have a much higher concentration of fluoride than what is found in toothpastes and mouth rinses.
• Fluoride supplements, if necessary, can also be prescribed by our office. They are available in tablet and liquid forms.
Is ﬂuoride safe?
• Yes, it is safe when used appropriately.
• For more than half a century, fluoride has been effective in fighting tooth decay. It is largely credited with improving the overall oral health of the nation.
I am an adult. Why do I need ﬂuoride?
• Adults can benefit from a topical application of fluoride by decreasing tooth sensitivity, reducing cavities under crown margins, and reducing root decay.
426 Magnolia Avenue • Larkspur, CA 94939 • Phone 415-924-4244 • Fax 415-924-5121 • www.JudyHusenDDS.com